Assignment 1a - Me, Myself & I

Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Task: Create one design based on letters of my name. Use these letters to interpret myself through manipulation of letters, use of symbols, shapes and colours (i.e. visual form).
Myself can be described as one or more of my personality, character, outlook, strength, weakness, inner self like or dislike, hobbies, ambitions and so on.
A self is a very complex concept. However, an effective visual design usually requires a skill to transform complex concept to simple, easy-to-understand visual form.
==================================================
[p.s. You may click the images to enlarge them(; ]

First up, I've followed the instructions to list down ideas, personality etc. of myself....
I came out with a list of:
+ Music
- Violin, Erhu, Mixer, Mic, Band, Amp, Scores, Speakers
+ Dreamy
- Stars (I love stars)
+ Happy
+ Fashion

Then I've listed down my name and nicknames I can use:
+ Chloé
+ Chloétale
+ Tale

After which, I did a whole bunch of sketches based on the words I came out with.
However as I progress on, I've side track a little to just draw whatever that comes to my mind which relates to myself of course.
Below are my thumbnail sketches.
MUSIC: I've drawn a lot of figures incorporating my name onto man with the instruments. It's like I'm playing the instruments.
FACE LAUGHING: I took my logo which I've done for myself years ago, and try to get something out from there, it ended up looking like a laughing face which portrays joy.
Computer, Cookies, Lollipop, Plant: Are just some things I like.
City: I love being in a city where there are malls and everything are just within reach.
Optical Illusion: I love looking at optical illusions, and am always fasinated by how the artists does it. The Sketches above here are just really random sketches.
The ones below are on a theme of "Dreamy & Space". Where there is a moon[C], flying ship[h], Fireworks[l], Planet[o], smaller ship[e].

After asking opinions from my friends, I've decided to work on the theme music.
I thought about instead of just using one person, I could use many of these figures to create a band.

Below are some ideas on what I could use.
These 2 are my first rough sketches. A rock band and a string trio.

I'm a violin player, and a aspiring composer.
I write my own songs, and many times I have to arrange them myself.
Hence I track the instruments or play the instruments myself - a one man job on the songs.
The idea of this is that in reality, the song is like a band of Chloesssss playing together in a song.
Hence each player is a Chloe.
I've illustrated in two forms. One is a band, the other is a string trio, since I'm a string player.

This is my third rough sketch - A face. (Only one face. The rest are masks)

I've integrated my name with: hair[c], ear[h], jawline[l], eye[o], nose & mouth[e].
It represents myself. On the background are some masks with different emotions. They represent the world, and people around me. All filled with different emotions and you never know when these people are truthful to you. Some wear masks on their face everyday and you never know when will they back stab you. Yes I've been back stabbed before that I do not trust some people as easily anymore. Hence frame outside. I'm still truthful to most people but wears a protective layer outside of myself, not revealing too much so as not to get hurt.

----------------------------------------------

The idea on the face is really negative, and I didn't like the idea of being negative.

Hence I've chosen my No.1 passion -Music on the Rock Band

==========================

Through this assignment so far, I've learnt that sometimes you do not have to keep on track, using a systematic way to design something. Sometimes when you let yourself free and just to doodle randomly, randomness could get you somewhere! Doodle could be a great source of inspiration.

I've also discovered that sometimes you may not just look at each picture as one, but by merging designs together, it can create an interesting twist.

Thirdly, having friends around to help you choose which designs/ideas you should use, when you are in a major dilemma -IS FABULOUS!

 
♥Chloé 4:39 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment