Assignment 2 - Less is More

Thursday, February 4, 2010
Task: Create ONE pictogram for a local site of your choice. A pictogram is an image created by people for the purpose of quick and clear communication without language or words, in order to draw attention to something or somewhere. Use only Black, White and/or 1 Color.

Learning Objectives :
1. Learn process of abstraction through simplification, magnification,
distortion and juxtaposition, combination of some of them.
2. Learn the communicative properties in information graphic applied in
abstracting images


======================================
[click on image to enlarge]

Brainstorming... For this assignment, I find it easier to work backwards. Hence I've draft out the final products of the two pictograms and went around asking my family and friends.

More Shops!
I think this pictogram kinda failed, as when I asked my family, they thought it meant shops which sells clothes, bags and watches over on the right. This is pretty similar to the idea of more shops, however it is not exactly right. Designers could've but I doubt it would be practical to see what shops there are on the right to place the different pictograms in every corner of the mall.

Thankfully, the second draft on web surfing (Internet Access Cafe) works! It is quick and clear on what the pictogram stands for. Here's my abstraction process:Zero: I have a picture of 4 men playing the computers in LAN.
One: I drew out 4 man playing on the computer (eliminating the background, bags, etc.)
Two: I removed the men and a computer, leaving only 3 computers and the desk behind
Three: I magnified into just the computer (leaving out the CPU), juxtaposed 2 monitors behind the main one to suggest 3 computers(a room with many computers), with removed images on the screens of the 2 monitors behind.
Four: Removed one of the juxtaposed computers and the keyboard, distort(edit) the original monitor base to something that seemed sleek and yet is simple. Added a white border on the base as well to give an outline to the first monitor, to clean up the mess of what it initially looked merged together.
Five: Removed the mouse and the last juxtaposed computer altogether. Simplifying the messy Internet pages on screen by replacing it with the Internet logo.

Internet Logo
I gave some thoughts as to what to use in replacing and signifying the Internet.
Daily usage, knowledge and through Internet research, I came out with three of the 'logo/pictogram' which I could use. The WIFI icon - Often seen on Apple products (e.g. Laptops/iPhone)
The @ symbol - Used in emailing addresses (or twitter =x)
The 'Globe' Internet symbol - I don't remember seeing it a lot or where I saw them, but it is very clear that it meant the Internet. Everyone I asked (who uses the computer) understands that it represents the Internet. (It must have gotten into our mind somehow...what a powerful symbol!)

And so, I have chosen the last one as it is obvious enough what it meant.
The 'WIFI' icon was eliminated as not everyone uses apple products (my window computer's Wifi logo looks slightly different) moreover it may only suggest that there is Wifi in that area and people could use their iTouch and laptops and have access to Internet in that area, but not that there are computers with Internet access.
The '@' symbol is slightly confusing to me as well, it might take the user a while to process and understand that the '@' symbol, representing email may represent Internet access as well! What we need here is to understand the pictogram in speed.

Here's my final prototype. I was choosing between green and blue for the logo to create a greater sense in representing 'The Internet' as these two colors seems more closely related to Internet. I've chosen blue as the green which looks more Internet will be rather bright and not very clear for those with astigmatism===================================

Through this assignment, I've learnt that even the simple pictograms and icons that we see in our everyday life actually came with lots of work, editing and thoughts while creating it. To just abstract the essence of an item alone and still having the general public know what item that is isn't simple. Moreover you have to transfer a message within that one simple picture with added symbols/icons and other embedded semiotics to tell the directions and instruction in a small amount of time. Creating a pictogram isn't about fancy drawings and how great an artist you can be, but how cleverly crafted your very simple lines and shapes could convey the clear message to your audience in a short amount of time. Every line and dots are important nothing can be too much or less.

~

Less is More. More is still MORE!

 
♥Chloé 9:40 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment